Saturday, November 13, 2010

Week Zero-Great Discovery!

We had our first class meeting this morning, which was illuminating. Class started at 11 am, and I did not get off the computer doing work related to the course until 3:30. It is completely addictive.  I am so glad to have my fellow students around, be they Skype buddies, Moodle course chatters, or forum fiddlers.

I'd like to share a simple collaborative act that Ruth and I shared while continuing the Skype chat after class. We were trying to figure out just how you share a screen on Skype, and we began stumbling around and playing with the software. Didn't take long for us to figure out how to do that. And we were able to see immediately the amazing possibilities of the Skype screenshare. We were so happy! Such a thrill! Techno-geeks or something- who else would get it?

 I'd like to be able to transmit this knowledge to others. More importantly perhaps, I'd like to be able to transmit the joy of learning a new technology, and its applications, to others. This is the reason that I enrolled in this course (series of courses). That's my goal. And to see the possibilities unfolding week after week is really something I look forward to. Thank you all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,Great that you and Ruth figured out the screenshare capacity of Skype 5. I look forward to learning about that from you, and wonder how you'll share the knowledge.
    I admit to being a bit overwhelmed and disoriented as we start Week 1: not sure about the buddy team formation; I realized this morning that not taking into account Week 0, I've volunteered to lead the session over the Thanksgiving weekend (or is that the Thursday session I've volunteered for?); there was a plethora of modalities in play last week and Saturday, including email, forum, Moodle wiki, wikispaces, jing, Skype, etc...

    So, along with a Big Yes to the joy of new technologies, comes the feeling of being scattered (breadth vs. depth). As a student in an online course, it's not a good feeling -- it does, however, remind me of your opening statement about "fortitude" and "desire".

    My focus for this course, currently somewhat hazy, is on learning to use two or three Web 2.0 tools and deepening my knowledge of Moodle (gradebook, database, glossary).

    If only Week 0 had been a gift of an extra week in this month....

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,

    Just catching up on people's blogs. Tom and I got excited about Skype 5.0 screensharing too, great isn't it

    Tom and I played what we thought was a high risk game on Saturday. We really hoped that screensharing would work so people could take screenshots of their favourite bits and share their feelings later to create a learning artifact. I hope we can still do that, so please have a look at Tom's sand box.

    I certainly feel we are developing a common sense of purpose, we are sharing a journey, but each has something unique to share along the way.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete